Stuffed eggplant is a popular dish in many countries. The stuffing may include meat or include just vegetables. You may to add in filling mushrooms, rice or couscous. In any way you will enjoy this delicious and healthy dish. If you’ll use mini eggplant, you’ll get a yummy starter, side dish or appetizer.
P.S. vegetarian version stuffed eggplant is here.
3-4 medium eggplant
200-300 g (8-11 ounces) minced meat (beef or pork, or mix beef and pork) or mushrooms
1 big tomato
1 big onion, peeled and finely chopped
2-3 gloves garlic, minced
50-100 g (1 cup) grated cheese (Gouda, Edam or Parmesan)
3-4 Tbsp of finely chopped fresh greens: mix of parsley, coriander, mint and thyme
2-3 Tbsp dry red wine
4-5 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 lemon, squeeze juice
Salt, ground black pepper to taste
Let’s get started!
- Make two cross cuts on the tomato put it in boiled water for about 1 minute. And use a sharp knife after to help slip off the peel. Finely chop the tomato.
- Cut out green peduncles of the eggplant. Cut eggplant in half and scoop out the center (leaving enough meat inside the skin for keep shape when it baking), chop and reserve. Drizzle eggplant shells with lemon juice, season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil in a large deep skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry till softness. Place chopped eggplant to the onion, stir to combine them and fry 3-5 minutes on a medium heat. Place everything in a big bowl.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil in the same skillet; place minced meat (or mushrooms) and fry till light brown. Pour in dry red wine and cook 5 minutes till liquid is evaporated.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (356 °F).
- In a big bowl mix vegetables and minced meat (mushrooms). Add chopped greens, minced garlic and chopped tomato. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff each eggplant shell with meat filling and place on a foil lined baking tray. Bake 15-20 minutes till eggplant are tender (try by toothpick).
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and place in the oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve baked eggplant warm with Smetana, Greek yogurt, your favorite greens and salad.