Baked eggplant stuffed with couscous is a great dish!!! It’s delicious, beautiful and extremely healthy! The filling contains mix of vegetables, spices and couscous – small steamed balls of semolina, originated in a Maghreb.
The combination of tart eggplant with spicy couscous – just amazing! You could serve baked eggplant stuffed with couscous as a starters or main dish. It also might be a perfect side dish for meat, fish or poultry. If you’re vegan or fasting, don’t put the cheese or replace it with some vegetable analogue.
P.S. recipe of tasty eggplant stuffed with meat is here.
Video – Baked eggplant stuffed with couscous
- 200 g (7 ounces) couscous
- 4 medium sized eggplant
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized red bell peppers, trimmed and diced
- 1 red chili pepper, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh greens (parsley, coriander)
- 100 g (4 ounces) grated Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
- ½ lemon juice
- Salt, ground black pepper to taste
- 400 ml (1 and 2/3 cups) hot boiled water
Let’s get started!!!
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and place the halves cut side up on a cutting board. With the sharp knife make cross cut all over eggplant flesh. Drizzle with lemon juice and massage flesh surface with sea salt. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Place couscous in a medium heat-proof bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and ground black pepper. Pour hot boiled water and thoroughly mix. Cover with cap and let sit about 5-10 minutes. Then slightly fluff with a fork.
- Using a paring knife, cut around the perimeters, leaving a 1/4-inch-wide (4-5 mm) border. Being careful not to cut through eggplant skin. With tablespoon carefully scoop out the eggplant flesh. Sprinkle eggplant shells with a bit of salt and ground black pepper. Finely chop eggplant flesh.
- Preheat oven up to 180°C or 356°F. In a large skillet set over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place onion, garlic and chili pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softness. Add bell pepper and green onion mix well and fry 2-3 minutes more. Then add chopped eggplant flesh, mix and cook about 5-10 minutes, constantly stirring. Put couscous, mix well and cook 2 minutes more. After add chopped greens, salt and ground black pepper. Thoroughly mix and remove from heat.
- Stuff each eggplant shell with couscous filling and place on a foil lined baking tray. Bake 25-30 minutes. Then take out from the oven. Sprinkle each eggplant shell with grated cheese and bake 5 minutes more.
- Serve baked eggplant stuffed with couscous while warm as a main dish, starters or as a side dish for meat, fish or poultry.