Once I’ve tried falafel in one small Arabian eatery – I fell in love with it! Since there I was dreamed to cook falafel at home. And now this dish – is one of the favorite in my family.
So today I’ll share with you this magic recipe of delicious falafel. Pretty easy, with simple ingredients, but, with fantastic mix of spices and herbs! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!
Ingredients (for 12 falafel):
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro, parsley and mint
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Sesame seeds
- Sunflower oil for frying
Let’s get started!!!
- Put chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with water by 3 to 4 inches and soak for 24 hours. Beans will triple in volume as they are soaking. Check once or twice to see if you need to add water to keep the beans covered. Better use soft filtered water. If you don’t have it, dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in water.
- After rinse well and drain beans. Put into a food processor and pulse until finely ground, but not puréed. Place salt and spices into the mortar and thoroughly grind. Gradually add chopped onion, greens, garlic, flour and spices to the minced chickpeas and process again. Time to time stop your blender to arrange all ingredients inside by using some silicone spatula.
- Transfer everything into a large bowl. Add lemon juice and baking soda and mix well. Cover with cling film and chill about 1-2 hours before frying.
- Scoop out heaped tablespoon of the mixture and shape it into small patties or balls. You may lightly moisten your fingers in cold water – it will help to form your falafel. Dip one side of each falafel into sesame seeds.
- In a deep stew-pot preheat oil up to 180°C or 350°F. Fry falafel in batches until browned and crispy, turning if necessary. Cooking time per batch will be less than 3-5 minutes. Place fried falafel on a plate with paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Serve falafel hot or at room temperature with fresh vegetables, lettuce, pickles and pita. And don’t forget about fantastic combination falafel with hummus. Recipe you will find here. Try to mix yogurt with fresh cucumbers and sumac – perfect dip for falafel as well.