Roast Goose stuffed with apples, quince and kumquat
Roast goose traditional Christmas dish. But this one also might be a favorite of any of your banquet tables. Today we’ll cook roast goose stuffed with apples, quince and kumquat. The combination of fruits and spices gives this dish incredible taste and flavor. Stuffing also might include nuts, dried apricots, prunes and dates.
- 3-5 kg (4-6 pounds) fresh or frozen goose
- 1 big quince
- 2-3 medium apples
- 1 medium orange
- 6-10 kumquats
- 1 mandarin
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 50 ml (¼ cup) cognac or port wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon white ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4-5 twigs of rosemary
- Mix of spices: ground cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon (½ teaspoon of each spice)
Let’s get started!!!
- Check the inside of the goose and remove any giblets or pads of fat. Rinse goose in a cold tap water and dry with paper towels. Lightly score skin on the goose breast with sharp knife (being careful not to cut into the flesh). It will help fat come out easier. Grate the zest of one orange into a medium bowl. Add salt, spices and 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves. Squeeze juice from the orange. Add 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice into the bowl with spices and mix well until it becomes paste. Massage all over the goose with spicy paste. Wrap goose with a cling-film and leave for 1-2 hours at the room temperature or place to the fridge for 24 hours.
- Wash fruits. Cut apples into four pieces and remove seeds. Cut quince into four pieces, remove seeds and cut into big pieces. Wash kumquats and mandarin and cut in a half. Place all fruits into a big bowl. Lightly crush juniper berries by hands and add to the fruits. Add mix of ground cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix well. Stuff your goose and close hole with wooden toothpicks. Place few twigs of rosemary into a seam. Wrap goose legs with foil.
- Preheat oven to 250°C or 480°F. Place the goose, breast-side up on a wire rack. Place oven-tray below for collect goose fat. Roast the goose in about 30-40 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 180-160°C (320-350°F) and roast for 2-3 hours until the goose is very well browned all over. In a bowl mix together cognac, honey and 50 ml (¼ cup) orange juice. Every 30 minutes baste the goose with this syrup. You could make deep cuts between legs and breast; this helps the goose to roast evenly. For 30-40 minutes before cooked you might place on a wire rack potato (peeled and cut in halves). Lightly baste potato with the goose fat. Check if the goose is ready with long wooden skewer (juice which coming out should be transparent) or with a thermometer inserted into a breast, not touching a bone (registers 75-80°C (180°F)). Remove the goose from the oven, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes. Remove toothpicks.
- Carve away the legs and then cut away the meat from the bones. Carefully slice away the breasts, then slice up and place on a platter. Serve with fruit stuffing and baked potato.
Leave a Reply