Chicken curry is one of common dishes in South and Southeast Asia. Typically it consists from pieces of chicken stewed with tomato-onion sauce, nuts, mint, ginger, turmeric and spice blends such as Curry or Garam Masala. Traditionally chicken curry served with Indian rice and flatbread.
For Chicken Curry:
- 1 kilo (about 2¼ pounds) chicken fillet
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 50 gr (about 2 ounces) almond nuts
- 50 gr (about 2 ounces) cashew nuts
- 100 gr (about ¼ pound) butter
- 6-7 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with garlic press
- 5-7 twigs fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2-3 cm (about 1 inch) ginger root, peeled and grated on a medium grater
- 2 tablespoons spice blend Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ¼ cup cream milk 30-35% fat
- 1-2 cups cold water
- Salt to taste
For Indian rice:
- 1½ cups Indian rice Basmati
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups hot boiled water
Let’s get started!!!
- Rinse chicken fillet, dry with paper towels and cut in pieces about 3*3 cm side. Place chicken in a plastic container and add salt to taste. In a small bowl mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 tablespoon cold water.Add to the container with chicken and thoroughly mix. Cover with cap and leave at the room temperature for 20-25 minutes.You could marinate chicken at the day before cooking and keep it on below shelf in fridge.
- Now time to cook Indian rice. Smash cumin seeds by fingers and fry them with butter in a saucepan with thick bottom on a medium high heat about 1 minute.Put rice and mix well.Add salt and pour hot boiled water.Cover saucepan with cap, bring to the boil, reduce heat to the minimum and cook about 10 minutes.Then open cap and cook 2-3 minutes more.Remove from the heat, cover saucepan with cap and wrap with kitchen towels.Keep saucepan with rice wrapped until it’s time to serve it.
- Make two cross cuts on the tomatoes, put them in a hot boiled water for a 1 minute. After place them in a cold water and use a sharp knife to peel skin off. Finely chop tomatoes and onion. Peel almond. For this place almond nuts in a hot boiled water for 1-2 minutes, drain and put in a cold water. After this you could easily peel nuts with fingers.
- Place tomatoes, onion and nuts (cashew and almond) in a medium saucepan. Pour cold water (water should just cover vegetables), bring to a boil, reduce heat to the minimum and cook about 15-20 minutes.Then remove from the heat, cool down, put vegetables in blender and shake them until smooth consistency.
- Thoroughly grind crushed garlic and grated ginger in the mortar. Heat half of butter in a large deep skillet on a medium high heat.Place pieces of marinated chicken fillet and fry about 7-10 minutes until ready. Add vegetable sauce, mint, garlic with ginger, turmeric, spice blend Garam Masala and remaining butter.Mix well and simmer on a low heat about 5 minutes.Pour cream milk, stir and remove from the heat.
- Decorate chicken curry with fresh mint leaves and thin strips of fresh ginger and serve with Indian rice.
Leave a Reply