Beef Stroganoff is a one of the most popular and famous dish of Russian cuisine. Sauteed pieces of beef fillet served in a sauce with sour cream. From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, it has become popular around the world, with considerable variation from the original recipe. Choice of meat – one of the important points, on which depends the final result. The best meat for beef Stroganoff is a beef sirloin steak. Its most tender part and you will get soft and juicy beef Stroganoff.
500 g (18 ounces) beef sirloin steak, cut into cut into 1 inch cubes
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
100 g (½ cup) fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
200 g (¾ cup) sour cream
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
50-100 ml (¼-½ cup) beef broth
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2-3 tbsp. fortified wine
2-3 tbsp. sunflower oil or 20-30 g (1 ounce) butter
Salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme to taste
Let’s get started!
- Dry meat cubes with paper towel and put them in a plastic bag. Add flour and a salt to taste and mix everything and mix thoroughly with massaged. Place meat into colander and shake slightly. Now all meat fibers perfectly locked and juice will stay inn while we fry meat.
- Preheat large skillet with a bit of butter and place there one by one put our meat cubes. Leave some space between of cubes. Fry 2-3 min on each side till brow and lacquer gloss. If pieces of meat don’t fit all at the same time you could do it in a few stages. Place fried meat into large bowl, add salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme and mix thoroughly.
- Place in same skillet butter or sunflower oil and fry onion on a medium heat until softened. Add mushrooms and fry 2 minutes. Then put fried meat and wine. Thoroughly mix and simmer for a 2-3 minutes on a medium high heat.
- In a large bowl mix sour cream, salt, pepper and dried thyme. Dilute with beef broth to a consistency of drink yogurt. Place sauce to the skillet with meat, onion and mushrooms, mix thoroughly. Heat over low heat 1-2 minutes, constantly stirring. Don’t boil! Remove skillet from the heat, cover with a cap and leave it in a few minutes.
- Serve beef Stroganoff warm with a backed or mashed potato, rice or noodles.
Leave a Reply