4 Apr, 2016
Why ratatouille? Firstly is a delicious. Just imagine excellent dish of succulent seasonal Mediterranean vegetables! Secondly is a healthy. Perfect for following healthy diet and lifestyle. Ratatouille is perfectly matches for vegans, vegetarians and fasting. After all ratatouille is a very beautiful colorful dish which might be served by itself or like topping for rice and pasta, or filling for your omelette, or like a side dish to any kind of fish, meat and poultry. Just try it in a simple way with a piece of crunchy bread and it will bring you to Provence mood.
Preparation: 30 min
Cooking time: 2 hours
Calories: 137 cal
1-2 tomatoes, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1-2 zucchini, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1-2 eggplants, trimmed and very thinly sliced
P.S. Try to choose vegetables the same diameter, more or less.
1 big carrot, peeled and grated
1 big onion, peeled and chopped
1 bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 big tomato, peeled and chopped
100-150 ml (½ cup) of chopped tomatoes in own juice or tomato pasta
2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic
Salt, black pepper, fresh basil and thyme leaves, chili pepper to taste
For the dressing:
2-3 cloves of garlic
2-3 tablespoon of olive oil
Fresh leaves of basil, thyme, parsley to taste
Salt, black pepper to taste
Let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (180-200° C).
- Make two cross cuts on the tomato put it in boiling water for 1 minute. After place it in a bowl with cold water and ice for 30 seconds. Then peel the tomato with hands and finely chop it.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry, turning occasionally till softness. Put chopped carrot, fry a bit and add bell pepper. In 3-5 minutes add chopped tomato and tomatoes in own juice. Stir to combine them and simmer for a 10-15 minutes on a low heat. Before 2-3 minutes till the end add salt, black pepper, chopped cloves of garlic and chili pepper(clean from seeds) to taste. Place simmered vegetables in the blender and shake them till smooth. Put our vegetable souffle on the bottom of a backing dish.
- Arrange alternating slices of eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes on the vegetable souffle, starting at the outer edge of the dish and working concentrically towards the center. Overlap the slices a little to display the colors.
- Let’s get cook dressing. Mix garlic, olive oil, fresh basil, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper in a blender and drizzle it on our beautifully arranged vegetables.
- Cover baking dish with a piece of aluminium foil and bake in the oven 40-45 minutes. After carefully remove the foil (try don’t burn yourself by hot steam) and bake 10-15 minutes till vegetables becomes roasted. Serve ratatouille with vegetable sauce, garnish with greens.
Updated: Apr 4, 2016