25 January, 2018
Poppy seed cake
Today’s recipe for all addicted to poppy seed cakes! I’ll tell you how to bake a delicate and tasty Poppy seed cake. Fluffy sponge cake full of poppy seeds, with gentle cream inside and incredible chocolate glaze on top!
Actually, even the biscuit itself is so delicious that no need any cream or glaze. But, if you want to pamper yourself, your loved ones or guests, then I’ll recommend to you to cook the cream and glaze. And you will get a wonderful festive cake!
Poppy seed cake video
Ingredients (for 10 portions):
For poppy seed cake:
- 5 large eggs
- 125 g or 1 cup wheat flour
- 125 g or 2/3 cup castle sugar
- 125 g or ½ cup butter, melted on water bath (lightly cool down at the room temperature)
- 150 g or 1/3 pound dry poppy seeds
- 5 g vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8-9″ springform pan
- 6 yolks
- 600 ml or 2 ½ cups heavy cream 15-20% fat
- 1 vanilla pod
- 150 g or 3/4 cup sugar
For chocolate glaze:
- 75 g or 3 ounces butter
- 200 g or 7 ounces dark chocolate 50-70% cacao
- 1 tablespoon brandy, whiskey or cognac
Let’s get started!!!
- Preheat oven up to 180°C or 356°F.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Then separate eggs whites from yolks. Whisk yolks with sugar until white and smooth cream. After whisk whites with the rest of sugar until soft peaks. In three steps add whipped whites to the yolks by gently fold in the same direction bottom up. Now gradually add dry mixture. Carefully mix each portion. Then thin trickle pour melted butter. Mix gently until well combined and smooth, but not to long.
- Cover bottom of your springform tin with baking sheet. Don’t buttered the tin walls. Place batter into a baking tin. Bake about 40-45 minutes until evenly golden. Check readiness with dry wooden skewer. Let your poppy seed sponge cake cool down in the springform tin. After cut on 3-4 layers. Carefully flip the last layer of your cake and remove baking sheet.
- Now time to cook our cream. Cut vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape the seeds to the stewpot with heavy cream. Whisk yolks with sugar until white and smooth cream. Place stewpot with heavy cream on a medium high heat. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Carefully by thin trickle, constantly stirring, pour hot heavy cream to the bowl with whipped yolks. Then pour mixture back into the stewpot. Put stewpot with cream on a low heat and cook until thick. Constantly stirring with silicone or wooden spatula, so that the cream doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cream is ready – time to put all layers of our cake together.
- Put the bottom layer back to the springform pan and pour with half of the hot cream (or 1/3 if you got four layers). Repeat with another one. The top layer leave free of cream for chocolate glaze. Let cake cool down at the room temperature for 2-3 hour and then place into the fridge for overnight. When cake is chilled, open springform pan and carefully moves our cake to the rack with deep plate or tray below. Align the cream on the edges of cake with spatula. Actually you may to eat this cake as it is, but, for holidays I prefer to decorate it.
- Chocolate glaze! Glaze has to be cooked on the bath marine. Stewpot where you gonna to melt chocolate have to be bigger, than pot with hot water. Also don’t let any water goes inside the stewpot with chocolate – it will destroy the colour and view of the glaze. Put chocolate and butter into a stewpan and stir until melted. Pour cognac and combine well. When surface of glaze become smooth and silky it’s ready. Remove stewpot from water bath and pour over your cake with this beautiful satin glaze. Use spatula to cover all the edges evenly.
- Now your time to be creative. Leave poppy seed cake elegant with only chocolate glaze on top or get some fun and decorate it with nuts, sprinkles and petals.
- Serve your delicious and beautiful poppy seed cake with tea, coffee and good mood!
Updated: Jan 25, 2018