2 July, 2017
Charlotte cake with strawberry and mango
This is the recipe of incredibly delicious summer dessert – no bake Charlotte cake with fresh strawberries and mango. This cake is as tasty as it is beautiful.
The basis of the Charlotte cake is savoiardi biscuits (aka sponge fingers or ladyfingers) soaked in orange liqueur. Inside, two types of delicious filling – from a delicate almond cream with strawberries and light mascarpone cream with mango. For the cake decoration I used strawberries in caramel, crushed fresh pistachios and mint leaves. But, you can use any berries, fruits, nuts and whipped cream to taste.
Try to cook this fantastic Charlotte cake. It’s not so tricky, but, tasty and beautiful like fancy cake from the sweet-shop.
Video: Charlotte Cake Recipe
For Charlotte cake:
- 40-50 savoiardi biscuits (aka sponge fingers or ladyfingers)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 ripe mango (could be replaced with fresh or canned peaches or apricots)
- 6 tablespoons Triple sec or Grand Marnier
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/8 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at the room temperature
- 3/4 cup peeled almond nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 9″ springform pan
- Handful of fresh pistachios, lightly crushed
- Fresh mint leaves, optionally
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Let’s get started!!!
- Trim off about ½” one end of 23-25 savoiardi biscuits. Place trimmed biscuits upright at the springform tins edge in a tight ring, sugared side outwards and cut-side-down. Line all over the bottom with one layer of biscuits. Cut some savoiardi on smaller pieces for don’t leave any empty spaces. Brush savoiardi biscuits with Triple sec.
- Trim and dice mango. Slice the strawberries (keep some for decoration). In the blender finely crush the almond.
- Whisk butter with icing sugar until white and smooth. Continuing to whisk, gradually add crushed almond. Separately lightly beat half of heavy cream on high speed. Add 4 tablespoons Triple sec to the beaten heavy cream. Mix together cream-and-liqueur and butter-and-almond mixtures.
- Lightly beat mascarpone with sugar. Whisk remaining heavy cream until white thick pudding. Mix with mascarpone and carefully fold in mango chunks.
- Spread almond cream over savoiardi biscuits layer inside the springform tin. Place layer of sliced strawberries on top of the almond cream. Top with layer of savoiardi biscuits. Brush with Triple sec and put mango cream on top. Chill overnight.
- While cake is chilling let’s make strawberries in caramel for decoration. Coat baking sheet with oil or butter. Rinse, dry and trim strawberries. Stick strawberries with wooden skewers. Prepare large bowl with cold water. In a thick-bottomed saucepan stir the sugar and cold water on a medium heat, until sugar is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook until golden. Place pan into a bowl with cold water. Carefully dip the strawberries in the hot caramel and place them on the oiled baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.
- After your cake is chilled, remove springform walls and decorate it to taste. Serve Charlotte cake with tea, coffee or chilled champagne.
Updated: Jul 2, 2017