Gingerbread is traditional delicious and flavorful baked goods. Especially it’s good at winter with tea or coffee. Flavor of spices makes a cozy atmosphere and cheer up. Decorated gingerbread cookies might become a gift for your family, friends and colleagues. The size and shape of gingerbread depends just from your fantasy. You could even decorate your Christmas tree with gingerbread or make gingerbread house. Most of kids like to cut and decorate gingerbread. I’m sure you will have a lot of fun while cooking this delicious gingerbread decorated with Royal icing.
For the first mix:
- 350 g (2 ¼ cups) plain flour
- 1,5 Teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
For the second mix:
- 125 g (½ cup) unsalted butter (soften at the room temperature or melted in a water bath)
- 1 large egg
- 160 g (2/3 cup) liquid honey
- 100 g (½ cup) brown sugar
For Royal icing:
- 1 egg white
- 150 g (1 cup) icing sugar
Let’s get started!
- Thoroughly mix all dry ingredients from the first mix in a large bowl.
- In a blender or with whisk mix soft egg and brown sugar. Gradually add honey and soft butter.
- Mix together dry and liquid ingredients and knead the dough. Gingerbread dough should be elastic and non sticky. Put dough into a bowl, cover with the cling-film and place to the fridge for 30-40 minutes. If you will bake gingerbread to the next day take out the dough for 15-20 minutes before baking to warm up it a little bit at room temperature.
- Now time for creativity!!! If you have kids at home – call them! Preheat the oven up to 180°С (356°F). Place dough on the slightly flour table and roll out to 5-8 mm (1/8-1/4 inch) thick. Stamp out gingerbread in any shapes you like with the dough cutters, and then re-roll the trimmings. Place gingerbread onto baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool on the sheet for a few minutes. If you want to hang them as decorations, now is the time to pierce a hole through the top of each with a skewer.
- Royal icing. Whisk egg white with icing sugar until white and smooth. You could tint Royal icing with food dyes. Once gingerbread is cool, decorate with Royal icing and sprinkles. Let the glaze harden at room temperature.