For batter (for 20-25 crepes):
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2-4 Teaspoons sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter or sunflower oil
For meat filling:
- 500-600 g minced meat (from beef of mix from ½ pork and ½ beef)
- 1 big onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 50-100 ml (½- ¼ cup) brandy or port wine
- 2-3 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- Salt, fresh ground pepper and dry herbs (thyme, oregano, mint) to taste
For filling with mushrooms and Blue cheese:
- 500 g (~1 pound) mushrooms (peeled and cut into medium sized cubes)
- 100-150 g (4-6 ounces) Blue cheese (crushed with hands into small pieces)
- 50 g (~2 ounces) butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons green dill (finely chopped)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
For filling with eggs and green onion:
- 3-4 large eggs (hard-boiled, peeled and finely chopped)
- 200-300 g (1/2-1/3 cup) fresh green onion (finely chopped)
- 50-100 g (~2-4 ounces) butter
- Salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
For sweet filling with Ricotta cheese:
- 250 g (~9 ounces) Ricotta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rum or brandy
- Fresh or canned berries and fruits to taste
Let’s get started!
- In a medium stew-pot melt butter on low heat. Pour milk and preheat a little bit (don’t bring to the boil). In a large bowl or in the blender whisk eggs with sugar (if you don’t want sweet crepes just don’t add sugar). Continuing to whisk slowly pour milk with butter. Gradually add flour and thoroughly mix until smooth. Mix should have consistency of the thin custard. Let batter to rest 20-30 minutes at room temperature and whisk again before cooking.
- Heat a lightly oiled 23-25 cm (9-10 inch) non stick skillet over medium high heat. Pour the batter into the skillet and tilt the pan with a circular motion so batter coats the bottom completely. Cook the crepe for about 30-40 seconds, until the underside is golden brown. Loosen edges with a spatula, flip it and cook the other side. Slide crepe out of skillet and repeat with remaining batter (coat pan with a bit of oil as needed). You could serve warm crepes with sour cream, honey, jam or chocolate sauce, or filled with one of the toppings below.
- Meat filling. Heat 2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil in a large deep skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry till lightly golden. Place the minced meat, mix well and fry till meat is light brown. Add salt, fresh ground pepper and brandy. Stir to combine all ingredients and cook about 5-10 minutes until alcohol is evaporated. Let it cool down a little bit and fill the crepes.
- Filling with mushrooms and Blue cheese. Heat butter in a large deep skillet on medium heat. Place the mushrooms and fry until golden. Remove from the heat. Add salt, pepper, fresh dill and Blue cheese. Mix well and fill the crepes.
- Filling with eggs and green onion. In a medium stew-pot melt butter on medium heat. Put green onion and lightly stew just 1-2 minutes, so onion keeps color and flavor. Remove from the heat; add eggs, salt and black pepper to taste. Thoroughly mix and fill the crepes.
- Sweet filling with Ricotta cheese. In a bowl mix well Ricotta cheese with icing sugar and rum, add fruit (optionally) and fill crepes. Drizzle the crepes with honey or chocolate syrup and garnish with berries.